Traveling while single is an adventure all its own. It’s an opportunity to meet new people, make new connections, and engage with the world around you. Whether you love bustling big cities or the intimacy of small towns, there’s always something to see.
Embrace your sense of exploration. Visit these cities that are perfect for senior singles travel.
Located about an hour out of Philadelphia, Brandywine is an unmatched vacation destination. The rolling countryside offers a feast for the eyes, music festivals fill the air with high notes, and rich wine gives your taste buds a thrill.
- Tours are a great way to meet like-minded travelers. Visit the Historic Sugartown tour and the Wharton Esherick Museum Wine & Cheese tour.
- Meet up with fellow country music fans at the Citadel Country Spirit USA music festival. This year’s headliners include Billy Currington, Little Big Town, and Lauren Alaina.
- The area is home to several popular museums. For starters, check out Brandywine River Museum of Art and the Winterthur Museum.
Scottsdale is a top pick for single travelers looking for a relaxing weekend. Not only are you close to luxury stores and golf courses, but—according to the latest census study—a quarter of the city’s population is 65 and older. You certainly won’t be alone in your age group here!
- Due to the year-round sunny weather, Scottsdale is a top golf destination. Find the perfect golf package to test the greens at spots like Eagle Mountain Golf Course and Talking Stick.
- Give your taste buds a jolt when you experience Southwestern cuisine. Join other travelers on A Taste of Old Scottsdale food tour.
- Treat your credit card to a workout at Scottsdale Fashion Mall. This luxury shopping center has all the big labels, and you can use an explore savings card to rack up deals.
Clink glasses with new friends at a craft brewery. Wander around the waterfront. Learn about ghosts on a haunted tour. Whatever it is you do, Wilmington offers perfect vacations for single seniors.
- Join other travelers when you book Tour Old Wilmington. A guide will show you the oldest homes in the city and recount stories from the Civil War.
- Make the best of friends when you cheers together. Enjoy the free tour and tasting at Front Street Brewery.
- If you want spooky sights on your trip, don’t miss the Ghost Walk of Old Wilmington.
Palm Springs maintains a sense of Old Hollywood grandeur. The city offers plenty of museums, craft breweries, and relaxing pools for a good time. When you’re asking yourself where to vacation solo, this is the place.
- Run into fellow aerial enthusiasts when you stop into Palm Springs Air Museum. The center is home to 59 planes from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Many of the volunteers flew the planes themselves, in case you want to hear their stories or share your own.
- Tee off with other golfers! Head over to neighboring Palm Desert for a round at Desert Willow Golf Course, one of the top destinations for a golf vacation.
- If you’re in town on a Thursday, don’t miss Palm Springs Village Fest, which features 180 unique vendors.
Charleston has won several recent accolades for being one of America’s friendliest cities. With cheerful people, excellent food, and historic sites, it’s a top spot to meet new folks.
- There are a ton of tours in Charleston where you can connect with Take on ghost walks, history walks, and food tours.
- Love art? Check out acclaimed spots like Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art. Walking around town is practically its own exhibit, too. After all, Charleston has one of the loveliest historic downtowns in America.
- Charleston has deep ties to the Civil Stop at Fort Sumter, which focuses on the war. Visit McLeod Plantation Historic Site, which recounts both the lives of the homeowners and those who lived through the horrors of slavery on the property.
6. Newport, RI
With fresh seafood and a well-known jazz festival, you’ll love Newport. Keep your eyes open for other single retirees listening to music and enjoying fish and chips on the waterfront.
- The Newport Jazz Festival is a must-experience. This year’s lineup includes Herbie Hancock, Corinne Bailey Rae, and Common.
- Meet up with other history buffs when you book a Majestic Mansion Tour. It’ll take you through historic homes like The Breakers, Chateau-sur-Mer, and The Elms.
- Seafood is a way of life here. Visit during the Newport Waterfront Oyster Festival or Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival.
7. Reno, NV
With shows, slot machines, and adventure, Reno offers a little bit of everything. When you’re wondering where to go for a solo vacation while single, this is a top spot.
- You never know who you’ll meet at the poker table. Test your luck at popular casinos like Eldorado Resort Casino, Silver Legacy Resort Casino Reno, and Peppermill Reno.
- Make time to visit the Nevada Museum of Art, co-founded by scientist Dr. James Church. The exhibits uniquely blend together art and the environment.
- Meet new friends at Pioneer Center for the Performing Arts, which hosts Broadway shows and stand-up comedians.
With famous sites and good brews, San Antonio is a perfect city for singles. And you won’t be the only retiree walking around! According to a recent SmartAsset study, it’s the second most popular retirement destination in America.
- Meet fellow single seniors when you hop onto an open-air tour bus. Routes will take you past sites like the Alamo, San Antonio Museum of Art, and the Theater District.
- Love beer? Check out Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling. They offer sessions where you can learn about beer and bourbon making.
- Aim to visit during the first Friday of the month. First Friday Art Walk features open galleries throughout the city.
Situated 40 minutes north of Albany, Saratoga Springs perfectly balances a sense of upscale luxury with rustic charm. From spas to jazz, it’s a place to treat yourself.
- Sing along with other music fans at Freihofer’s Saratoga Jazz Festival. This year’s headliners include Norah Jones, George Benson, and Kandace Springs.
- Treat yourself to some “me time” with a full spa experience. Indulge at spots like Saratoga Organic Botanicals Spa & Store and Spa Cascada.
- Enjoy the area’s flavors and landscape and meet new people (and maybe even a new love interest!) when you sign up for Saratoga Food Tours.
10. Jacksonville, FL
With its warm weather and strong art scene, a trip to Jacksonville is unforgettable. And, according to the latest census report, one in ten people you’ll meet in Jacksonville are seniors. You’re sure to run into plenty of folks exploring the area with you!
- Meet locals at the Riverside Arts Market, which takes place every Saturday morning.
- If you’re a cat lover, Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary is your new favorite spot. This safe place offers refuge for big cats like lions and tigers.
- Check out Florida Theatre, which hosts comedians, as well as musicians like the Temptations. There’s nothing like laughing and dancing with your seatmates to cap off a good vacation.
The best solo trips offer opportunities to go on new adventures while meeting new people. Whether you want to try out a city tour, beer tasting, or music festival, these are the top AARP travel destinations for single seniors.
Header image via Sean Pavone/Shutterstock.com