We understand that making purchases online involves a great deal of trust on your part. We take this trust very seriously, and make it our highest priority to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal information you provide to us. Please read the following policy to learn about our privacy practices. The terms "we", "us", "our" and " AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia” refer to AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia and/or our subsidiaries. The term "you" refers to the customer visiting the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia and/or booking a reservation through us on the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia, or through our customer service agents. By visiting this AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia website, you are accepting the practices described herein.
- What information we collect from you
- Cookies and other technologies
- How we use your information
- With whom we share your information
- How you can access your information
- Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- How we protect your information
- External links
- Visiting our website from outside the United States
- How you can contact us
What information we collect from you
In General. We receive and store any information you enter on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia website or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you ("personal information"), including your first and last name, telephone number, postal and e-mail addresses, fax number, and, if you make a reservation through our site, billing information (such as credit card number, cardholder name, and expiration date). We also may request information about your traveler preferences, frequent flyer and car rental program information. You can choose not to provide information to us, but in general some information about you is required in order for you to register as a member; purchase products or services; complete a traveler profile; participate in a survey, contest, or sweepstakes; ask us a question; or initiate other transactions on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia.
Travel Companion Information. When you make a reservation for someone else through AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia, we will request personal information and travel preferences about that individual. You should obtain the consent of other individuals prior to providing AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia with their personal information and travel preferences, as any access to view or change their information will be available only through your account.
Information from Other Sources. We also may periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, purchase history, and demographic information.
Cookies and other Web technologies
We automatically collect some information about you and your computer when you visit this website. For example, we will collect your IP address, Web browser software (such as Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari), and referring website. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed and purchases made. One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help customize your user experience.
When you access the My Trips or My Profile areas of this website, reserve or purchase travel, or use selected travel planning tools, we may require you to sign in as a member, using your Member ID and password. Once you sign in as a member, we record the Member ID and the name on the member account in the cookie file on your computer. We may also record your password in this cookie file as encrypted data if you checked the box entitled "Save this password for automatic sign-in." Your Member ID, password, and the name on your member account is stored in the cookie file as encrypted data, so no one can view the information it contains by obtaining unauthorized access to your computer. Permanent cookie files remain on your computer's hard drive until you manually delete the file.
In addition to the above cookies, we use Local Shared Objects, also referred to as “flash cookies,” on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia. These are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings, such as your volume/mute settings, and in connection with animated content on our website. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies, but can store data more complex than simple text. By themselves, they cannot do anything to or with the data on your computer. Like other cookies, they can only access personally identifiable information that you have provided on this site, and cannot be accessed by other websites. To find out more about flash cookies or how to disable them, please click here.
This site may also use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, and to improve AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
How we use your information
Email Communications: We want to make it easy for you to take advantage of travel-related opportunities on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your travel-related interests. For example, if you search for a flight to New York on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia and have saved your itinerary or otherwise not yet booked your travel, we may send you an email message reminding you about your saved travel itinerary or about a special airfare to New York. Similarly, if you receive an email from us about New York travel and demonstrate an interest in New York hotels by affirmatively clicking on a link about New York hotels in the email, you may receive an email about New York hotel offers or other destination information. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about travel-related special offers available through AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
Please review "Your choices with respect to the collection and use of your information" below.
With whom we share your information
AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia will not share your information with third parties other than with the following entities:
- Providers:, We may share some information about you with hotel, airline, car rental, and activity providers, who fulfill your travel reservations. On the AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia website, all services provided by a third-party Provider are described as such. We do not place limitations on our Providers' use or disclosure of your personal information. Therefore, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any travel Provider whose products you purchase through AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia. Please note that these Providers also may contact you as necessary to obtain additional information about you or to facilitate your travel reservation.
- Third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including credit card processing, business analytics, customer service, marketing, distribution of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention. We may also authorize third-party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including as necessary to operate features of our website or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose. They are also required to follow the same data security practices that we ourselves adhere to.
- Referring websites. If you were referred to this website from another site (for example, through a link you clicked on another site that directed you to this one), we may share some information about you with that referring website. We have not placed limitations on the referring websites use of your personal information and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website that referred you here.
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia, our customers, or others; and in connection with our Terms of Service and other agreements.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- As discussed above, you can choose not to provide us with any information, although it may be needed to make travel purchases or to take advantage of certain features offered on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia.
- Where a Member Profile page is offered, you also can add or update information and close your account as described above.
- When you register as a member, you will be given a choice as to whether you want to receive e-mail messages from us about special offers, and we will only send promotional emails after you have provided us with an opt-in. As a registered AARP Travel Center member, you can modify your choice at any time on the My Account page under the heading "E-mail settings." Whether registered as a member or not, you also will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from commercial messages in any such e-mail we send. We reserve the right to send you non-promotional e-mail communications, including service announcements, administrative messages, and surveys relating either to your AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia account or to your transactions on AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia, you will not be able to access portions of AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia website.
We also may share your information:
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information. The notification will include the specific mechanisms or procedures detailing how to choose not to have us share such information.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. For example, we may tell our advertisers the number of visitors AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia website receives or the most popular hotels and vacation destinations. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
How you can access your information
Your choices with respect to collection and use of your information
How we protect your information
Visiting our website from outside the United States
Contacting AARP Travel Center powered by Expedia website
Revised December 6, 2011
©2011 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved.